Should I change my bank?

25 August2009

If you`re in debt to a bank you have an account with, you may have heard that they can take money out of your account. This is actually true, but only under certain circumstances.

The right of `set off`

A firm has the right to use money in one of your accounts to make payments due on another account. This is true even if it`s not mentioned in the terms of the account - but that doesn`t mean the firm will do this.

This is known as the right of `set off` or the right to `combine` accounts.

Please note: banks shouldn`t do this if they know it would `distress` you financially - if it would leave you unable to pay for your day-to-day essential living costs, for example. If a bank does exercise the right of set off and you end up in financial distress as a direct result, you should phone them and ask them to refund the money.

What are the rules?

  • A firm can only take money from an account which is held by the person who owes it money.
  • The account it takes money from and the account which should be providing the money must be held with the same firm.
  • The accounts must be held `in the same capacity` - so if you have an account in your capacity as (for example) treasurer of a club, the firm couldn`t take money from that account to pay a personal credit card bill of yours.
  • The debt must be `due and payable`. If you miss one payment to a loan, for example, the firm can only take that one payment from an account of yours, not the entire balance of the loan.

In general, firms wouldn`t use the right of set off unless they had given you a reasonable opportunity to pay the debt (of course, `reasonable` can mean many things, and may depend on how you`ve handled your account so far).

Even so, firms wouldn`t normally warn you first if they were about to make a transfer like this, as this might lead you to move your money to a different firm. In general, however, they should inform you as soon as possible after they have done this.

What can I do?

If you`re concerned about this, wondering if you should open an account with a different bank, and looking for more information on the right of set off, you can talk to the Financial Ombudsman Service, whose job it is `to settle individual complaints between consumers and businesses providing financial services`.

Click here for the Financial Ombudsman Service`s contact details, or click here to see the information it provides on the right of set off.

Set up by parliament, the Financial Ombudsman Service provides a free service to consumers, examining complaints about all kinds of financial matters - `from insurance and mortgages to investments and credit`. As the website says, `Each year we deal with around a million enquiries and settle over 100,000 disputes`.

Try our debt solution finder

Answer a few simple questions and find out which debt solutions could help you, based on your circumstances.

Your Situation

Your Details

Please remember, this is just an information tool. We would always recommend you speak to a debt advisor for the most appropriate way to resolve your debt problems.
We'll give you an on-screen recommendation and call you. One of our advisors will be in touch to answer any questions you may have about your results.
Your privacy is important to us. All correspondence is held in the strictest confidence and we will only request information required to find your debt solution.

Related resources

Tags: bank, bank account, change bank, debt

Fees payable when continuing service is provided. Repaying debt over a longer period may increase the total amount to be repaid. Calls are recorded and are usually free from UK landlines. Mobile phone users may be charged and should check with their service provider. Cards are provided by third parties and are subject to eligibility, status and terms and conditions. Applicants must be UK residents aged 18 or over.

Calls may be recorded for training and quality purposes. Calls to 0800 numbers from BT landlines are usually free, but you should check with your network provider for full details of your service.

All About Money Limited © 2014. Registered Office: Think Park, Mosley Road, Trafford Park, Manchester, M17 1FQ. Co Reg No. 4926097. Registered in England and Wales. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of consumer-credit related activities and is an appointed representative of Think Insure Limited, FCA registration number 310071, and Think Loans and Mortgages Limited, FCA registration number 310069, both of which are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of their insurance mediation and regulated mortgage activities. Regulated by the Claims Management Regulator in respect of regulated claims management activities.